Prev | List | Random | Next
Powered by RingSurf!

Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

Day 15, Begin at the Beginning: 1st Nephi 1-4, pages 1-10

Yesterday I finished the Book of Mormon. Now I have to begin at the beginning and read to 3rd Nephi so I can complete the whole book. Now that I've been fortified with the wonderful stories of Christ's appearance, the inspiring writings and testimony found in Moroni, and Ether, I am buoyed up. I've got enough momentum to get past the nearly memorized book of 1st Nephi, pick my way through the encoded writings of Isaiah and wade through the wordy writing style of Alma. I will persevere.

I did my reading today in a cramped and crowded doctor's waiting room that very much reminded me of Pakistan. It was full of Pakistani men, women and children. Since Pakistanis don't hire babysitters, wherever the parents go, the children go too. Even a trip to the doctor is a family outing. Having been married to a Pakistani for nearly 29 years, and having lived a total of 8 years in Pakistan, I am somewhat of a professional observer of Pakistani culture. So there I was trying to read my big large print quad scriptures with kids clambering around me, people bumping into me when they sat down, and children coming up to stare me in the face. All the sights, smells and sounds of "home": amusing, and nostalgic, but not conducive to serious study.

Like Nephi, I too was born of goodly parents, taught somewhat in the learning of my father, having seen much afflictions but have been highly favored of the Lord. I can even go on to say that I too have had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my reading of the Book of Mormon and how it is enriching my life.

Yea, I make a record in the language of my father, which consists of the learning of the American public school system in the language of the English.

And I know that the testimony which I make is true; and I type it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.

And the purpose of this testimony is to convince all people, Jew, Gentile and Muslim that Jesus is the Christ. That all my come unto a knowledge of their Redeemer and Savior. That all my feel of his love, as I have.

I've been trying to pray more meaningfully at night,but I must admit,at night I'm just too darn tired to think. I"m not much better in the morning either. I guess, the afternoon is going to be the only time I can be quiet and meditative without falling fast asleep. This goal of building a better prayer relationship is HARD.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

<< ? | LDS Blogs | list >>